Let's Play Tic Tac Toe
How to Play Tic Tac Toe
Tic Tac Toe is a classic paper-and-pencil game played on a 3x3 grid. The goal is to get three of your own symbols (X or O) in a row, either horizontally, vertically, or diagonally. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to play Tic Tac Toe:
- Set up the game: Draw a 3x3 grid on a piece of paper or use a blank sheet. You can label the rows with numbers (1, 2, 3) and the columns with letters (A, B, C) to make it easier to refer to specific cells.
- Decide who goes first: You can flip a coin, play rock-paper-scissors, or come up with any fair method to determine who starts the game. Let's assume "Player X" goes first.
- Take turns: Players take turns placing their symbol (X or O) in an empty cell on the grid. The first player (X) will choose a cell and mark it with an "X," and the second player (O) will select a different empty cell and mark it with an "O."
- Make a move: When it's your turn, select an empty cell where you want to place your symbol. You can refer to the grid using the row number and column letter. For example, "A1" refers to the top-left cell, "B2" refers to the center cell, and "C3" refers to the bottom-right cell.
- Complete a row: The game continues until one player successfully places three of their symbols in a row, either horizontally, vertically, or diagonally. The game ends as soon as a player achieves this or when all cells are filled.
- Declare the winner: If a player forms a row of three symbols, they win the game. The winning player announces, "Tic Tac Toe!" or simply states that they have won. If all cells are filled without a winner, the game ends in a draw.
Here's an example of a Tic Tac Toe grid:
A B C 1 | | ---+---+--- 2 | | ---+---+--- 3 | |
During gameplay, players will mark their moves in the empty cells by writing their symbol (X or O) in the corresponding cell. The grid will gradually be filled as the players take turns.
That's all there is to it! Tic Tac Toe is a relatively simple game, but it can still be a fun and challenging pastime.
Play Tic Tac Toe online - the classic game of naughts and crosses. You can play Tic Tac Toe for free online against other players, the computer, or a friend.
Tic Tac Toe is a two-player game in which the objective is to take turns and mark the correct spaces in a 3x3 (or larger) grid.
Tic Tac Toe is a "zero-sum game". If both players play perfectly, the game ends in a draw. Below you can find the most valuable strategies and tactics.
Play against the computer or against a friend. You can choose from a traditional 3 X 3 grid, or challenge yourself with a 5 X 5 or a 7 X 7 grid.